Saturday, June 18, 2022

Coming Soon: Making More Mistakes, Faster

Now that the market has corrected enough that there may be some well-priced stocks to be bought, you may see more articles from me in the next few weeks or months. I never announced it, and it may not be completely related, but when most stocks are full-priced, it takes a greater effort to put together a valuation and background story, so I am less likely to publish when the market is overpriced. I did come to view the market as overpriced for parts of 2021. The rally of 2020 was a surprise. That of 2021 even more so.

This is almost certainly ego-driven: I'd much rather publish an article which eventually is shown to be correct, than to publish something that is unfortunate and mistaken. This is a continual hazard when commenting on markets. The usual antidote among newsletter writers is a combination of equivocation and obscurity, so that while you are being dazzled or entertained, whatever happens later can somehow be likened to what was written before.

I think I have a partial solution to this problem: I can write articles in which I actually attempt to make mistakes. This won't be hard [sic]. The motivation is that rather than hoping you will think I am right, that I help you better by printing (virtually) more ideas, faster, with less filtering, and that you can, from your own perspective, correct for my mistakes and see what really needs to be done. I can't vouch for my ability to be wrong [sic]. In my own experience, attempting to reverse yourself in placing trades does not work. That is, you cannot be your own contrarian. It is far easier and more successful to be a contrarian to something one reads somewhere else. And it's not just a matter of not-invented-here. Somehow the brain just works better when it is presented with information that is from somewhere else. So my goal is simple: just continue to write and comment on the markets as I see them. Any mistakes will be easy and free, and you can benefit from them even if I can't.

Actually, that's not true. An article I wrote yesterday was written by a different person. I'm a different person today. So long as I am sufficiently good at changing from day to day and don't drag my ego along with me, I too can benefit from my being wrong in print.

I have been working on article on contrarianism that is getting close to being ready for publication. If all goes well, you will see it here in the next day or two. It should go very well with this article, which in reality is about contrarianism too.

Target vs. Amazon

As a kind of warm-up exercise, we can see that in the last few days Amazon said that it's Amazon's Prime Day will be on July 12 and 13 this year. Within a day or so, Target announced that it was scheduling its own Deal Days event for July 11 through 13. 

Perhaps Target is thinking:

  • they get free publicity for their own sale, since people will conflate the Amazon and Target events
  • people will spend all their money on the 11th, nothing left for Amazon!
  • Target's sale will be seen as better since it is for three days, not two
  • people will mentally equate Target's product selection with Amazon's

Contrary take: People will compare Target and Amazon service and fulfillment, as well as prices. Frankly, Target could lose frequently in this comparison. Also, this kind of alignment clearly marks Target as a follower behind Amazon.

Marketwatch reports that "Target said during its most recent earnings [discussion] that it had a glut of inventory to sell." Will retail competition slay inflation? Unfortunately, neither event includes discounts on gasoline, housing, higher education, or medical care. Both sales may accidentally feature lots of products made in China. But most Americans have too much stuff already, and right now they want to spend time outside and spend money on experiences, not buy things for inside the house.

Gasoline is Gold

Mini-theory: gasoline is expensive because people are doing all the outdoor things they were blocked from doing in the two-year pandemic lockdown. In which case we have yet another unintended consequence of aggressive social control public health policy. Demand won't let up until everyone has slaked their thirst for living rather than waiting inside, masked, watching Netflix and eating microwave popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment